Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Roof Vents

Our house had none. Well, it has one on each end of the roof, under the overhang but that is not enough. To determine how much venting you need you take the total square feet of the roof and divide by 300. That gives you the number of square feet of vents you need. In our case that comes out to 6 vents. The side vents made up for two so we were four short. It was the soffit installer who pointed out the problem when he said we had no roof vents for all the new air the soffits were introducing into the attic to exit.

I studied YouTube videos and was quite confident I could do the job myself but Norma asked her new lawn guy who used to be a roofer and he offered to do them for the same rate she was paying him to do the lawn. He did all four in an hour and a half so we were quite pleased and it saved me more than that in the chiropractor bills that I would be paying if I did it myself. The vents themselves are cheap, $10 each plus tax.

I went up on the roof and I could feel the hot air pouring out the newly installed vents proving they are working well!

It was a very hot day to be working on the roof but here he is. Yes, there is moss on the roof but I have something to kill it. That is the next job.

13 comments:

  1. This will significantly lower the summer temps in your house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what we are hoping. If so it will be $100 well spent.

      Delete
  2. Great job with the roof vents, the house will be cooler and the shingles will last longer, Like you said money well spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am anxiously awaiting a hot day to put them to the test.

      Delete
  3. Looks like the new lawn guy is doing a good job replacing Beau.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is working at it. He charges more per hour but is much faster.

      Delete
  4. That was a good thing to do. You should easily reap the benefits with those new roof vents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the share, love your blog!
    Scarlett

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've learned in my late years to let the pros do it. I did that with the breakers you brought me...the tech was there anyway so I let him do it. But, as Chris recently pointed out, the experts are sometimes hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Back to Windows 10 on my Asus Eeepc... I tried to turn it on to reimage it back to Windows 7 this morning as I'm packing up my computers to move into the RV. It did what it did prior, just went to a black screen with the drive light looking like it was trying to do something but never seeming to get anywhere. I never got the boot up screen to boot to the external hard drive. I was about to toss it in the trash but got sidetracked packing other computer stuff. About an hour later (I know I left it on over night when I was actively 'upgrading' it earlier) I hear the boot up chimes. It came up in Windows 10. Not sure how well it will work as I don't have time to play with it right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have abandoned my Asus Eee as it will not charge and I think it is more than the battery at fault. I will try to get the hard drive out and put it in a cheap enclosure I bought on eBay.

      My HP Mini 5103 arrived and it works well with it's Windows 7 Ultimate but it is limited to 2GB of RAM so I don't know if it will handle Windows 10. I may keep it on Windows 7 and eventually load Linux on it.

      Delete
    2. I suspect the Asus will not handle Windows 10, just not enough processor and/or memory. My HP Mini arrived with 2 GB of RAM (the max) and with Windows 7 in it and it is really slow.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete