Thursday, January 22, 2015

I Fixed It!

My new Windows 8.1 computer developed a problem in the last week. When I went to Start-Shutdown and clicked the button the machine would restart instead of shutting down. This would happen every time. The only way I could shut it down was by holding down the power button.

I Googled the problem and found this page. It took a while but I followed their detailed instructions and now everything seems to be working again. I don't know exactly which of their steps fixed the problem but after turning off all the Startup and Services entries in msconfig and then turning them back on again one at a time, it now works properly.

This afternoon we are going downtown to meet up with Norma's cousin Jay who is renting a condo here for a month and going out with him for an early dinner. It will be fun to get together with family.

13 comments:

  1. We're not so thrilled with 8.1, we tried to avoid it but MS finally got us. I find some weird glitches but we are living with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Living with it" kind of describes the whole Microsoft experience.

      Delete
  2. Funny how things go but we have been working with Windows 8, then 8.1...and with all of the updates, we have had not difficulties. Hard to know why your lap top acted up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Rene', I seem to attract these things.

      Delete
  3. Hmm, I still love my apple, good for your health.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm....glad you were able to solve the problem and get everything working. Just a thought - are you still running Classic Shell? That would be my first guess as to being the culprit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I am and that was my thought as well. If I didn't fix it with what I did I would have turned Classic Shell off.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, Classic Shell has been running on multiple machines of mine with absolutely no problems.

      It's one of the good ones.

      Delete
  5. You know you will be able to "upgrade" for free to Windows 10. So far the reports are that it's more like 7 than 8.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is promising News Don. That is what I shall do!

      Delete
    2. In fact, I was talking to a computer geek today who has used Windows 10 as a tester for Microsoft. He says he's very happy with it....so we'll see. So far, I'm not having any problems with 8.1, but then I've only been using it for two days!

      Delete
  6. Love my iMac. Meanwhile congrats on dealing with your computer situation! Pretty soon you will be Rick's assistant.

    ReplyDelete