Wednesday, April 9, 2014

ATM Glitch?

I just read that 90% of worldwide ATM's are running on the no longer supported XP operating system. Changing them out to the newest system (till they change it again) could cost as much as $700 Billion. Maybe they could leave them alone. Maybe hackers will not find a way to make withdrawals. Maybe.

England's entire Health Care System also runs on XP and for all I know, maybe Canada's as well.

How much will it cost bank customers and taxpayers just because Microsoft wants to change the color of the ponies on the merry-go-round?

7 comments:

  1. Natural human response to put off until tomorrow. They knew it was coming, just like Y2K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading way too much into it Croft. And just like Y2K, it was a non event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree with Kevin. It'll all work out. I, too, remember Y2K because I was the Director of Surgical Services at a hospital in San Francisco that had, at that time, the most active Emergency Room operation of all the hospitals in SF. We spent over a million dollars preparing for the calamity that was to be New Year's Eve 1999. I stayed glued to my telephone waiting for the inevitable call that catastrophe had struck. Not one thing happened that needed surgical intervention. That's not even normal on a regular weekend night!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe the issue is a non issue, guess its a wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard Canada's system runs on TRS80s.

    :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. On Y2K the sun set, and then the rose. And that was it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No doomsday stuff. Just if someone takes a million out of my account, I might not notice.

    ReplyDelete