Friday, November 30, 2012

Another Fridge Door Saga!

You remember when the fridge door fell of in Puebla a few years ago. Well, we had a repeat performance today! Last time it was the bottom hinge that failed. Today it was the top. It was probably all the jarring it got from the washboard road from Hermasillo. Anyway, when Norma opened the fridge to get milk for her coffee after we finished setting up the Starchoice, the door fell off!  I held the door while Norma emptied the fifty pounds of condiments from the door shelves.

I cut and drilled a short piece of metal strapping I was smart enough to bring along and we dry fitted all the broken pieces. I went next door and recruited some help from a neighbor to hold the door while I did the repair. I used some Gorilla Glue on all the broken edges, screwed the reinforcing  metal strap in place and then propped the door level but not closed while the glue set. The package says it will cure to 80% in two hours and set completely in 12 hours. We went for dinner while we waited the two hours and then gently closed the door. Gorilla glue is very strong but it dries an unsightly color and swells as it dries. It will finish curing overnight.

In a couple of days we will file down the rough edges and glue overflows, mask the repair off and spray it black. It will again be stronger than new. Life is good!

I just have to add that it was only a week ago that Norma was questioning the need to pack along my 50 (or 75)  pound tool box. 'Nuff said.



12 comments:

  1. I carry a small box in the fiver and a bigger box in the truck, plus generator, and air compressor,good thing I have a 2500HD. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  2. At least you had enough tools to do the job, should be good as new now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never leave home without the toolbox and extra toilet paper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative!!! How fast do you drive??? We never found the road to be that bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We drive 10 - 15 KM under the speed limit in Mexico, sometimes slower.

      Delete
  5. Gotta have the tools...cause you never know when you will need to work on a fix! Well done Croft. I don't carry Gorilla glue but, based on your experience, I'm going to buy some and bring it along.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mexico's roads will truly challenge the hardiness of a vehicle - especially trailers, campers and motor homes.

    Of course BRING TOOLS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Was that a plastic hinge on the door?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, plastic! The part attached to the fridge is steel but the door part is plastic, and mostly hollow at that. Most RV sized fridges are the same, either brand.

      Delete
  8. I find it very apropos that I have always kept my Gorilla Glue in the door of my RV fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good morning Croft, I am trying to publish this for the second time, I am not to hot with computer stuf so hope this time works.
    We have had the same hinges problem twice on our trailers, the first time I found a reenforcement/replacement sold by Camping World that worked fine. This second time with a new trailer this part was no longer available at Camping World so I had to make one myself and it does work very good. To have a look at what it looks like you would have to pay a visit to my blog http://jean-guyetlucille.blogspot.ca/ I have some picture on the last post that might give U some ideas as to what to do.
    We will be leaving around the 1st or second of Jan for Mexico, might see U on the road.
    Have a good and safe winter.

    ReplyDelete