Friday, January 1, 2010

New Year’s Visitor

This pretty little guy lives near here and likes to perch on the antenna of the Honda while he waits for a snack to fly past. He has never stayed around long enough for me to put on my telephoto lens and get a photo of him. This time I parked the car on the other side of the RV and that seemed to do the trick. I took a couple of shots through the window screen and then gently slid the screen open. He looked at me but did not fly away. He patiently hung around for several shots and then, as I was thinking about getting even closer, he left. I don’t know what kind of bird he is but with his colours, I doubt if he has any trouble attracting the ladies!

Edit: Tammy just commented that he is a Vermilion Flycatcher (pyrocephalus rubinus) and is quite common around Mexico and Central America. Thanks Tammy!

blog

3 comments:

  1. Hi Norma & Croft,
    The name of the pretty red bird in your photo is called a Vermilion Flycatcher (pyrocephalus rubinus). Great picture of it...always worth the wait! Enjoy reading of your travel adventures and of course the pictures! Happy New Year to you both!

    Tammy Galbraith (Savage)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tammy! Nice to hear from you. Happy New Year to you and all your family as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New year Croft, and Norma!

    As usual, you've managed to keep me living vicariously through this years adventure. It's always a treat to visit the blog.

    Best wishes, and continued happiness!

    Rob

    ReplyDelete