Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Cozumel Ferry Trip

We caught the passenger only fast ferry to Cozumel Monday Morning at nine. It was a pleasant 45 minute ride but we did not see any of the flying fish we were told sometimes follow the ferry.

We found a nice restaurant for breakfast and then walked the main street for a few hours. It is mostly jewellery stores and high end clothing. It is set up to lure in the cruse ship crowd and every one has a “Today Only” sale on and has hawkers on the street trying to get you into their store. I bought a $30 USA t-shirt after talking her down to $130 Pesos (about $11 USA - still too much but it IS Cozumel) so you can see the profit margin. I simply made my offer of $120, told her I live in Mexico and know the price and walked out. She stopped me at the door and countered with $130 Pesos. I soon tired of shopping so I just followed Norma from store to store where I usually found a place to sit outside and people watch while she sought out the nonexistent bargain.

We eventually found our way to Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville Restaurant where we ordered a couple of large "Perfect Margaritas" for $12 USA each and a bowl of fantastic guacamole that was mixed up right at our table. I made the mistake of ordering a second margarita in the unfulfilled hope that Jimmy himself would show up to sing so I was thankful for the time on the ferry plus a lengthy coffee break at Starbucks in Playa del Carmen before I had to drive home. I am sure those drinks were at least doubles and maybe triples!

I already had my rant on the USA dollar situation and my problem with the “official” language in Cozumel so I will just post some photos.

Note the sign. It should read "ALTO". This is Mexico!

blog1

Bob Marley (or maybe Michael Phelps)

blog2

Me at my Latin dancing class

blog3

There is currently a campaign against these carriages. Signs around town tell you to ask the driver when his horse last had a drink of water before you get in.

blog4

3 comments:

  1. That "STOP" sign is hilarious. I've never noticed that before in Cozumel. I live in Playa del Carmen, and I don't particularly care for Cozumel. But we always go over there for Carnaval. After the parade is over and all the cruise shippers get back on their enormous boats, it's an incredible party in the streets with hardly a gringo in sight. I always pay in pesos and speak in Spanish in Cozumel, but I never shop or eat on Cruise Ship Avenue. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome Libby! You live in a beautiful area. I am becoming somewhat of a curmudgeon after spending my last ten months in Mexico in the interior States. The Mayan Coast is very different and hard to get used to. Sorry if I come off sounding "down" on this area. It is very beautiful and the water is fantastic. It is paradise (except for the parts I don't like). ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. No offense taken, Croft! I totally understand. Whenever we spend some time in the interior, upon returning to the Riviera Maya, we feel like we're entering into a foreign country! One of these days, I'd like to live in a "real" Mexican city like Merida or San Luis Potosi. But for now, this is my paradise. Saludos!

    ReplyDelete