Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The #$@&! Fridge Door Fell Off!

The door fell off the fridge last night! We have had so much trouble with Dometic fridges I am almost tempted to find another solution! Last night Norma opened the fridge and the bottom hinge broke right off the door.

We stayed up until 2 am gluing the plastic pieces back together with crazy glue and modifying a couple of metal “L” brackets to add some strength. We then used some two part epoxy to glue the “L” brackets to the door, finishing it off with a couple of screws into the door. We let it dry for an hour or so and then put the door back on.

It was still holding this morning when we opened it so hopefully it will be good until we get back to the States where I hope it is still under warranty. They charge $1500 USA for these tiny capacity fridges and then put plastic hinges on them!

DSC_9169

2 comments:

  1. I know it may not help you where you are, but try a google search of your fridge's make and model and see if there's a recall on it. My parents' fridge caught fire and they found out there was a recall and it was replaced for free. I enjoy your posts and read them everyday with the thought that one day I can become a traveller myself. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For your next fridge, try a Norcold. Every time I hear someone b**** about their RV fridge, they have a Dometic. I don't think I've ever heard a complaint about Norcold!

    I just noticed that my fridge also has plastic hinges. You're right; what's up with that?!

    Anyway, I'm a very happy Norcold owner. :-)

    ReplyDelete