Monday, November 3, 2008

Oil Change Blues

We have to get the oil changed in the motorhome as I am already 1000 miles over the scheduled service. This should be a simple matter, right? Wrong! I called the Ford Dealer here in Yuma and was told they could not fit motorhomes in the shop and would not do it the way I do it by simply crawling under the vehicle and draining the old oil into a pan. No, it was "Sorry, go away and don't bother us."

I called Pep Boys and they will do it without the hoist but they want $120 per hour plus materials. I asked how long the job would take and they said they could "probably" do it in one hour! Sorry, I am not going to pay $150 USA for an oil change! I may have been born on a Sunday, but it wasn't yesterday!

I will drive down to the Ford dealer tomorrow and buy some oil and a filter. There are hundreds of "Taller Mechanico" shops in Mexico that would be happy to take my money at a lot less than $120 USA per hour and I am also sure they will do it in less than an hour! I will let you know.

2 comments:

  1. I'm always astounded when I'm told that my business isn't wanted. Then, I get jealous that their business is going so well they can afford to turn away customers!

    (for those who don't know Spanish, a 'taller' has nothing to do with height, it's a workshop *g*)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right Rae, they can't be bothered to accommodate you so they just send you away. There is also a tendency to increase the price of everything when they see it is for a motorhome. They automatically assume that those of us with motorhomes must be rich and can afford to pay inflated prices.

    ReplyDelete